Monday 2 October 2017

Hubby's birthday card


I almost forgot Hubby's birthday. When my parents came to take me for my hospital appointment last week, Mum handed me a card and said it was for Hubby. It took me a minute to work out why she had a card for him, then I remembered it was his birthday the next week! Phew, close shave there, although when I then asked Hubby what he wanted for his birthday, he said he didn't want anything and was hoping that I'd forgotten. You can't win!
Fortunately, I'd bought this Sue Wilson Stained Glass Bonsai tree earlier this year as Hubby loves bonsai trees. We have several buckets in the garden with stunted trees in them that were grazed down by sheep that Hubby "liberated" from a field. He claims that he will prune them down to turn them into bonsai trees, but has failed to add any timescales to his plans.
I simply die cut the image in black card and as the die doesn't have an outside cutting edge, I trimmed it down to add to a 6x6 card blank. I then cut it again in several different colours and inlaid the pieces. There were a few tiny bits, but it wasn't too fiddly to do. Simples.

15 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Cara. It looks like a Tiffany stained glass piece. Happy Birthday to your husband. [Bunny]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men. LOL The colors you chose are perfect for a fall birthday. Happy Birthday blessings to the guy, who on the inside, is just tickled you didn't forget LOL Creative Blessings! Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a graphic and fabulous masculine card. Chuckled at your husbands attempt at a bonsai tree x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant card, cool technique. Maybe it will spur him on with the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card Cara I bet your hubby will love it, and as Liz said maybe it will inspire him to start on his trees ;)
    Hugs Kaz xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous Cara, it's a wonderful image and I love the colours you've chosen, perhaps it will give your hubby motivation to get started, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nicely done! I hope your hubby has a fabulous birthday, with or without presents!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure you hubby going to love that beautiful card, Cara!!! Very nice colors selection. Thanks for sharing:)
    Henry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cara, that was a close shave Lol! My one is just the same, you ask him what he wants and he has no idea. Hope he gets round to sorting those trees. I have a friend who regularly used to bring me stunted trees she had found and they generally do really well when liberated. Happy crafty week, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous card, sure he loved it. Sometimes life just gets so busy that it's hard to keep up with!!
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, your stained glass bonsai is gorgeous, maybe it will inspire hubby to get pruning hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cara
    What a super card for Hubby.
    I have one of those who says he will do something "tomorrow" to which I start singing "But tomorrow never comes........" He doesn't seem to find it funny lol!
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very beautiful card for your Hubby's birthday Cara. It sounds as if you found the perfect subject for his card. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. A really striking card - love Sue Wilson's range of Stained Glass dies and love the way you have used one here! x Anne

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's gorgeous Cara, the colours are perfect. My hubby has tried his hand at Bonsai too, we've killed at least two in the past and he purchased a kit to grow his own but never did, lol! It must be a thing that men in particular love, they are pretty trees though and I appreciate the art of them as they take years but I don't have that patience x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please ignore any requests to prove you're not a robot and just press publish. Cara x